Find out what your computer needs to run the best QuickBooks Desktop experience.
Get the best experience in QuickBooks. Here’s helpful info about the operating system, hardware, software, and other requirements to run QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2020 and Enterprise 20.0
|Are you using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?
Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. For your data’s security, we recommend upgrading your operating system to a supported version before installing QuickBooks.
To know more about how it affects QuickBooks, check out related help articles for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1), all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows Server 2019, Standard and Essentials
- Windows Server 2016, Standard and Essentials
- Windows Server 2012 R2, Standard and Essentials
- Windows Server 2012, Standard and Essentials
- Windows Small Business Server 2011, Standard and Essentials
Note: QuickBooks requires you to use Windows natively and not through an emulator or virtual environment.
|Windows (natively installed)||
|Linux (when using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Database Server-only installation)||
Hardware and Operating system requirements (client and server)
|Processor||2.4 GHz minimum|
|RAM||4GB minimum, 8GB Recommended
Server RAM Requirements
|Optical Drive||4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless QuickBooks is downloaded from Intuit server).|
Note: Internet access is required.
You can integrate QuickBooks with hundreds of other apps. Here’s a list of the most common apps you can use. To find more, go to the Intuit App Store.
Note: Additional RAM can enhance the use of these features.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2019 (Compatible with R3 and later).
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit.
- Office 2010 SP2, Office 2013 and 365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64-bit.
Note: Office 365 is only supported when it is locally installed, not the web version.
- Email estimates, invoices, and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2010-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Outlook.com, other SMTP-supporting email clients.
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 SP2 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Contact Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010 (32-bit).
- Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge).
Note: Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. Syncing could cause duplicate records.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale V18.0 and V12.0
- TurboTax 2019 and 2018 (Personal and Business)
- Lacerte 2019 and 2018
- Pro-Series tax years 2020, 2019, and 2018
- Quicken 2019, 2018, 2017, and 2016
- QuickBooks for Mac 2020, 2019, and 2016
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner, Payroll, and viewing forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services require Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (1 Mbps recommended). DSL or cable modem is recommended.
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Windows Mail, Hotmail and AOL (i.e Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client which supports plain text version)
- Internet Explorer 11
Firewall and antivirus software compatibility
We tested QuickBooks Pro and Premier 2020, and Enterprise 20.0 with the following firewall and antivirus programs.
In some cases, you may need to adjust some settings in these programs to get the best possible QuickBooks performance.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- NortonLifeLock (formerly Symantec)
Note: QuickBooks will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because it may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
QuickBooks Desktop 2020 requires internet security protocol TLS 1.2 for the connected services to work smoothly.
QuickBooks for Mac 2020
Minimum system requirements
- At least macOS 10.14 (Mohave); supported by macOS 10.14 (Mojave).
- Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher.
- Multi-user Server: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor to run a server.
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended).
- 250 MB of available disk space.
- CD/DVD drive or Internet connection for downloaded installation.
- Printer: 100% Macintosh-compatible printer, if you plan to print invoices, checks, deposit slips, lists, purchase orders, mailing labels, reports, or graphs.
- Checks: Use Intuit Checks if you plan to print checks. Canadian Image Ready Checks are not supported.
- Product registration required.
- Exporting report data: This requires Apple Numbers v3.5, Microsoft Excel 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- Emailing: This requires Apple Mail, Microsoft Outlook 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- Payment: This requires Intuit Merchant Service if you accept credit and debit cards. Merchant Service for QuickBooks for Mac is sold separately and subject for application approval. Debit card transactions are processed as Signature Debit, which does not require entering a PIN code.
- Payroll: Here are the Payroll services that will work with your QuickBooks for Mac:
- Intuit QuickBooks Payroll for Mac
- Intuit Full Service Payroll
- Top Pay from Aatrix
Note: Payroll for Mac requires your EIN and an internet connection to work. Printing checks and forms also require Adobe Reader. Additional fees may apply.
- Mac apps: You can sync QuickBooks Desktop for Mac with Apple’s Calendar, Messages, and Contacts.
- File conversion: QuickBooks for Mac 2020 supports:
- One-way conversion to QuickBooks Online
- One-way conversion from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2016 to 2019
- Two-way conversion from and to QuickBooks Desktop 2020.